Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Scientific Atheist?

Hello friends!
My cousin contacted me about a friend of hers who's been challenging her beliefs by asking her several questions. So my cousin contacted me to see if I could help her out at all.
The friend (we'll call him John) calls himself a scientific atheist and, while he isn't completely sold on the idea, evolution seems to be the best theory that he's found so far.
John mentioned he believes that if religion was completely erased from our world history and future, that we would not have the problems we do today.
He stated that he would have preferred Christianity to be a bit more complex than just a "do good and you go to heaven, do bad and you burn in hell" kind of thing.
So I emailed my cousin back and gave her very few resources. I checked the Desiring God website too and sent her an article. But I remembered a message that was given (at least I think it was a message) about how old the Bible is, and comparing it to other historical, published documents (to prove the validity of the Bible) but I can't remember who said it and I can't seem to find that info on the internet. I would love the opportunity to be in contact with "John" myself so that I can discuss issues with him! But we'll see how God directs this. =) Can someone help me?

4 comments:

Debi Walter said...

I think the message you're thinking of is when Grant Layman was here for Xtreme a couple of years ago. I remember him expounding on the validity of God being Who He says He is. Check out Metro's resource list of guest speakers here: http://www.metrolife.org/html/guest_speakers.html
I hope this helps, Steph! Thank you for your most recent post. I appreciate your honesty and transparency - yes, I think you were. :-)

Noelle said...

Brent also talked about this in very much detail at the Contending conference. =) That was really good...

Emily said...

Yeah, I was going to say that the Contending material has a WEALTH of information that would appeal to someone "scientific". Chris still uses alot of the facts and things we heard from Brent in his conversations with people at work... it can probably be found on the website..??

Unknown said...

I was going to say Contending as well.