Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Suffering for His Glory?

So a friend asked me to expound on what "suffering" looks like in my life, to give others a picture. I am embarrassed to expound on my few "light and momentary" trials because I am aware there are countless brothers and sisters in Christ around the world who are physically being tortured and killed for the sake of the blessed Gospel! But I will do my best.

Suffering (initially) in my life would be any situation God brings my way that doesn't comply with my plan for the day, week, etc. Oftentimes I will see His faithfulness to teach me something in the midst of the trial, and then I have the choice to continue with a willing heart that glorifies God. But most of the time, the sinful nature in me rises up quickly to complain about the discomfort of my current situation...whether it be relationships inside or outside the home, physical ailments, or financial strain. Looking back on the past year, I can choose to look at all of the things God took away from me...friends, health, finances. OR I can choose to look at how God has already been glorified in most of those situations by:

*providing finances in a round-about way
*freeing me up to develop relationships with new people, and strengthening current relationships
*giving me exactly the care I need for my current health situations
*and mainly, being more aware of His unending grace and constant care over my life

Well I was hoping this would prove to be transparent, but it seems more arrogant than anything else...showing what I view as "suffering". In light of this topic, I think it's important to mention those who are suffering "more prominently" for the Gospel (in my opinion). Please remember to pray on a continual basis for:

*our brothers and sisters fighting on the spiritual frontlines here in the U.S. by consistently and purposefully going out to share the Gospel with those who haven't heard or have previously rejected it
*the youth in our nation who are fighting the enemy of peer pressure and media to stay true to their First Love, and are proclaiming the Gospel to the next generation
*our brothers and sisters who are travelling or have moved overseas in order to further His kingdom by reaching the lost in the "unreached" places
*our brothers and sisters in third-world countries, where there are no missionaries helping them, so they fight for the Gospel alone

Sorry if I went on too long, this is just something that's really on my heart and I have to remember as well to pray for these. There is a war being fought; and though we know the outcome, we are required as Christians to still do our part on this journey towards our final Destination!

No comments: