Saturday, March 8, 2008

Suffering

Ahh, the time-change. Not a fan of the whole spring-forward part. =) Anyway, this quote pretty much knocked my socks off!
“Whatever makes us more and more able to enjoy making much of God is a mercy. For there is no greater joy than joy in the greatness of God. And if we must suffer to see this and savor it most deeply, then suffering is a mercy. And Christ’s call to take up our cross and join Him on the Calvary road is love.”
John Piper (Don’t Waste Your Life)
It is so amazing to me, how much I have distorted true reality into this warped illusion that I live. Real life, as the Christian should live it, consists of trials and sufferings...just like everyone else in the world...only difference: Christians have the marvelous hope in the Saviour because the "story" did not stop at the tomb. It didn't even stop at the resurrection. The Story made it's glorious transition when Christ ascended from this fallen world to His Home, where He is seated at the right hand of God, interceding for us all! What GLORIOUS hope we have!
Oh, that I would see suffering as a mercy, and not as a curse, as I so often do. Then would I find joy in the midst of my trials, and find comfort in seeing God's sovereign hand over my life. I LOVE that last line: "Christ's call to take up our cross and join Him on the Calvary road is LOVE"...when I try to picture that, I don't picture Christ lovingly handing me a cross, me eagerly taking hold of it and skipping down the path of life. I picture a huge, rugged, splinter-full cross being placed on my back and me reluctantly taking it...out of religious duty, and trudging down the path. Why do I not remember that the sufferings I endure cheerfully in this life will be rewarded to me in the next? Why do I not remember that the trials I endure now are nothing compared to those who are physically suffering for the Gospel? If I am easily shaken at the uncertainty of my future, do I think it will be a breeze to be persecuted for my faith?
O Father, let me see suffering as a mercy from You, that I may lift my eyes off myself and see You more clearly! Help me to joyfully accept my burdens as signs of love and care from You.
Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Mom: Wow, Steph, I was brought to tears as I read your vivid descriptions of the 2 different ways to carry the Cross God has set before us. How quick I am to say, "Bring it on", but then how quick I am to complain when He gives me just a tiny taste of suffering. Thank you for the reminder that "suffering is a mercy". I am a blessed Mom!

Patte said...

So true, Steph. How about you write about what you think suffering & carrying your cross will entail ... or what it already HAS entailed for you? Some people could really use an illustration of what you're writing about.

God bless you, sweetheart!

Patte

Unknown said...

Wow...Steph this was sooooooooo encouraging. Thanks!